Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mobilize


I remember being a young girl in middle school and watching a close friend suffer through his father’s cancer diagnosis.  He was only getting worse and it was difficult to grasp the enormity of what they suffered.   My best friend and I wanted to do something for the family to help cheer them through the Christmas holiday.  I have no doubt that she is the one that came up with the initial idea.  I don’t even remember how we procured the goods we used, but what we did was a simple thing.  We did the 12 days of Christmas.  Each night, just after dark, either her mom or mine would drive slowly past their house.  She and I would jump out, run up the porch steps and leave an item to two by the door for the family; a cookie jar, Christmas candy, some kind of trinket to play with, etc., then we’d ring the bell and run as fast as we could back to the car and have our driver race away in hopes of remaining anonymous. It was a highlight of my youth and a defining moment for me in terms of who I was going to be.  What kind of person I’d grow into.


Now, I am standing by that same best friend as her husband battles a debilitating lung disease.  I am powerless to help him.  I cannot fix his lungs.  I cannot find a doctor who performs experimental miracles and has just such a trick up his sleeve for her husband.  But I know what I can do.  I can rally the troops and organize deliveries just like she did.   As it stands we are currently arranging a meal rotation for those who want to leave one for her and a gift card rotation for those who just don’t, can’t or won’t cook.  The outpouring of support and love is uplifting. I don’t believe in Karma or putting good into the universe in order to have good returned, but I do like to see someone that is always willing and ready to help others  see that support returned when she most needs it. 

There will be long hospital stays in their future.  I’d love any thoughts on what would make that more comfortable for the patient, my friend and their young son (elementary school age).

No comments:

Post a Comment