Monday, November 16, 2009

Sheets

I have finally met my match in stubborness in my 5 year old, Elizabeth. I was changing the sheets on her bed last night before bed. I had put on the Hello Kitty sheets only to discover that she wanted the pink sheets. Well, too bad, the Hello Kitty sheets were already on the bed and I wasn't changing them. After a tearful good night (from her, not me) I went downstairs.

When I came up again in the morning to wake them for school, what do I find? Elizabeth is sleeping on the floor. Rather than sleep on those Hello Kitty sheets underneath her cozy electric blanket, she spent the night in her sleeping bag on the floor. When I woke her she casually said, "I thought I'd sleep on the floor last night." To which I replied, "You really wanted those pink sheets, huh?" As she points to the unslept in bed with the offending Hello Kitty sheets she says, "I hate those sheets." Case closed.

I have to admire her for her resourcefulness in solving her own problem, and her pluck for not backing down. Both will serve her will in years to come, assuming she uses her powers for good. :) But I am also a little nervous for what the teen years will bring if this is how she acts now. God help me.

Tonight I am not sure how I will respond. Should/will I put the pink sheets on to reward her effort, or should I leave the Hello Kitty sheets on to test her resolve? Odds her she will have forgotten all about it by bed time, but only time will tell. Kids are strange animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment